Monday, November 3, 2008

It's November already?!

Seriously, I can't believe it's already November. This part of the program seemed like such a long time ago! We moved out of our final homestays this morning and move into our ISP accommodations this afternoon. We're supposed to leave around 1:00 pm, but I have to hang around the offices because a man is coming to fix my laptop. Hopefully he doesn't have to take it and work on it because I have a lot to do this week! I have to continue working on stuff for my ISP and we have a paper due on Friday. I find out tomorrow whether or not my ISP proposal has been approved. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The weekend was rather eventful. On Saturday, Cookie took us to a women's shelter near the South Coast to meet with the woman who runs it. We talked with some of the women staying there and talked with the woman who runs it. We also left a bunch of fliers and stuff about domestic violence. Then we headed all the way to the other side of Durban to go to a baby shower for Cookie's sister-in-law's sister. I'm pretty sure it was the first baby shower I had been to, and it was pretty interesting. At one point they made the mom-to-be wear a huge diaper. We also played various games like guessing the baby food, and guessing the number of jelly beans in a bottle. I won some candles and a bar of soap for listing the most animals and animal baby names (for example: Cow and calf) in 1 minute. It was crazy to see such a different area of Durban, though. Durban North is definitely a more affluent area. The house we went to had a pool and a really intense security system.

On Sunday we had a giant food feast since it was our last day with the family. Grace and I contributed nachos to the feast. We couldn't actually find tortilla chips anywhere, but we did find some tortillas, so we cut them up and baked them. They actually turned out really well. We told Cookie that we were giving her a taste of what she might eat when she goes to Mexico for the conference next week.

I'm really glad I got to live with this family, and I am especially glad to have met Cookie. I think she is a truly extrordinary woman. She was abused for years by her late husband, and was able to overcome so much adversity to get to where she is today. And she is so kind and giving to other people. I will definitely keep in touch with her. Well, I think I'm gonna go grab some food. Sala kahle!

No comments: