Friday, October 31, 2008

My laptop could not pick a worse time to die.

That's right. My laptop. Dead. It was working fine Wednesday night when I was working on my ISP proposal, and when I tried to turn it back on Thursday afternoon, nothing happened. Keep in mind that my entire proposal is on my computer. I tried plugging in the power cord. Still, nothing happened. So then I called SIT and got the phone number for the people who fix their computers. I tried taking out the battery and putting it back in, and using just the power cord with no battery. However after both attempts the lights on my computer flashed and then it started making a realy obnoxious, loud beeping sound. So then the computer guy had to come to my homestay house, but he couldn't fix it. So then he took out my hard drive and connected it to his computer so that I could get all the things I needed for my proposal and put it on a flash drive. It was all very stressful. Fortunately, my computer is still under warranty so a man is coming on monday to fix it. Hopefully it's not too bad of a problem. And I was able to finish my proposal on the school computers. It was very stressful.

Last night my friend Grace (who is also staying at my homestay) and I went to a show at the playhouse called "Shall We Dance?" My host mom's sister-in-law was in the show, so her husband gave us a ride. I was a little skeptical when the first act was a dance to "When I Grow Up" by the Pussycat Dolls, but the show was actually pretty good. My favorites were the Irish dancers, a group of young boys who did a step performance, and this couple who won a dance competition in England recently. I also met this guy after the show who works for the KZN Department of Economic Development, and he's going to help me get in touch with some people for my ISP. Cookie's brother and wife took us out for a late dinner afterwards. It was nice not stressing out about my ISP/registration/housing issues for a while.

It doesn't feel like tonight is Halloween...it's really not very big here. But our academic director did decorate the offices and gave us all big bags of candy, which I ate a lot of it while finishing my proposal. I know there's a Halloween party at this restaurant that we all really like, but I don't have a costume, so I don't know if I'll go or not. Plus my homestay sisters invited Grace and me to some sort of youth group party. Anyway, I'm pretty hungry because I haven't really eaten in a while (except for candy). Sala kahle and Happy Halloween!

No comments: