Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Vaccinations

So before I leave for South Africa, there are a certain vaccines and stuff that I'm supposed to have. I already had most of the required ones, except for the required weekly malaria medicine that I have to take (which I now have a prescription for from my doctor). But they also recommend getting vaccines for rabies and typhoid before going. You have to get them a certain amount of time before leaving, I guess so that they're already working properly by the time you get there. But the problem is that I'll be at camp during the times when I would need to get the vaccines, so I don't really know what to do. Also, you have to get 3 rounds of rabies shots. It all sounds like a lot, but I definitely think it's better to be safe than sorry. But still, I need to somehow figure out what exactly I'm going to do about getting these vaccines. Maybe my dad will know what to do.

Today I got an e-mail from my program that said to make sure I went over all the pre-departure information again. So I decided to take a look at it, and discovered that I have to read 4 books about South African history before I get there. And although I kinda wanted to read Nelson Mandela's autobiography anyway, it kinda stinks to have summer reading. Plus one of the books is over 600 pages. I'm not to excited about that one. The info also said that there's a limited amount of bandwidth at the school center, so we're limited to what websites we can use unless we go to internet cafe's and such. But then it warned against going to internet cafes and spending tons of time on the computer because they say you're not making the most of your time there, which is understandable. But still, I think it would be nice to have the blog to update people on where I am and what I'm doing. I mean I wasn't planning on making a ton of novel-length posts anyway. So even though they discourage it, I'm still going to try to update it every once in a while. Maybe I'll start a real journal or something for longer accounts of my travels and use this for shorter versions. We'll see what happens.

No comments: