Monday, June 23, 2008

Hello!

Well, although it is a bit early to be starting this, I decided I might as well prepare my blog for my semester in South Africa! I really can't wait until I go! I think it will be an amazing experience! My program is based in Durban, which is on the eastern coast of the country in Kwa-Zulu Natal. However, I will be traveling to other places including Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, the Umfolozi game reserves, and some rural areas as well. Right now, however, I'm still working on applying for my student visa. There's all sorts of things I've had to get for my application, like police clearance and proof that I don't have tuberculosis. It's a bit of a hassle, but understandable why they require it(well, at least the police clearance...). I also have to get a bunch of shots (typhoid, rabies, etc) and take anti-malaria medicine. But I think it will definitely be worth it!

On Saturday, I'm leaving for one of my favorite places! My camp in North Carolina! This year is my 10th summer there, and I really can't believe it. I feel pretty old. I even remember after my first summer there plotting out the years until I got the coveted 10-year ring. It's a little surreal, I think. But I figured if I started updating my blog on a fairly regular basis before I left for South Africa, I would be better at updating it while I get there. Anyway, I'm gonna go now because I'm hungry and I need to figure out what my family is going to do for dinner. Bye!

No comments: